Monday, July 28, 2008

Chapter 11

"Fan fiction? What the hell is that?" Richie had invited Madison up to his suite, much to Nina's chagrin, and was explaining David's outburst on the plane.

"It's where fans write fantasy stories about their favorites. I've seen some of them take anime characters and write their own stories for them. There's also a lot of that going on for celebrities, although those tends to be a bit more....er, 'colorful'."

"Colorful?.......oh..." Madison hoped Richie didn't notice the slight blush starting to heat her face, but he did and grinned at her. That dimpled grin.

Madison cleared her throat. "Anyway," she began again, "what does that have to do with you and David?" She took in the quaint English interior of the beautiful suite that overlooked Hyde Park. The periwinkle blues of the overstuffed sofas and wing chairs blended with the dark woods, giving the room a sereneness.

"Well, darlin', it just so happens that your dear cousin and cohorts are members of a certain fan forum for the band and I'm pretty sure one of them is the author of one of the more popular stories."

"Really? Who? What story? Is it the one that references 'Shirley'?"

"I'm not really sure. But I intend to find out. Some of them tend to change their names when they post the stories. I don't think she's the one who wrote about 'Shirley', though. That one is a great story, by the way. You should read it sometime."

She looked at him warily. "Are you trying to corrupt me?"

"Does it take much persuasion?" He winked at her, making her blush again, while he dodged a good smack on the arm.

"Doesn't David know about the forum?" She tried to take the focus off of herself.

"None of the other band members do. I've been throwing some juicy tidbits out to them and they just think I've lost my mind."

Madison smirked, "haven't you?"

"Smartass."

"I try to be", she grinned at him. She couldn't help it. There was just something about him that made her smile like a giddy teenager. She couldn't remember the last time someone made her feel this way - that it was okay to laugh again. Yet, she also felt something very intense in him, and a sense of loss that threatened to overshadow his lighthearted disposition.

*****

"What were you doing up in Richie's room?"

"Joanie! What a thing to ask!" Kris was embarrassed for her.

"What? I mean, I invite her because I want to spend some time with my cousin and she's gallivanting with Richie Sambora."

"Well, actually that is the whole point of this tour, you know. For us to get to know the band."

"For 'us', yes, but she's not even a fan. She didn't even know who Richie was until yesterday."

"You do know that I'm standing right here, right?" They were talking around her.

"Sorry, Madison", grinned Kris, looking anything about apologetic, "just trying to inject a bit of reality into your cousin here." She turned back to Joanna, "jealousy is unbecoming, my dear."

"Oh, for chissake, I'm not jealous. I just want to make sure that she doesn't embarrass us by doing something inappropriate."

"Like what, for instance? He asked me to come up to see his suite. I've never seen a luxury suite before."

"Well, neither have I, but you don't see me going around hinting to be taken up to their rooms, Madison."

Madison sighed, "I didn't hint, he asked."

"Look, Maddie, just be careful, okay? I just don't want you to get hurt."

"What do you mean, 'get hurt'?"

"He's a rock star, a celebrity. When this tour is over, he's going to move on with his life. Don't get too deeply involved or you won't be able to move on with yours."

This thought had never occurred to Madison and she was taken aback by it.
She was charmed by his sense of fun. She had felt an honesty and an integrity in the man. Was I being naive?

"He's just fun to be around. I know this is not anything serious," she assured Joanna. But Madison could not convince herself, especially not after he had kissed her so thoroughly just a few minutes ago.

*****

Richie answered a knock at his door and found Jon standing there. Walking in, Jon scanned the room. "Where is she? I thought you asked her up here. I wanted to ask her more about these," he held up the book and the pendant.

"She went back to her room to unpack and rest." Something in his tone said that he wish she'd stayed.

Jon eyed his friend. There was a noticeable change in Richie in the two days since he had met Madison. He was more relaxed, happier and the mischievous gleam in his eyes was beginning to return.

"So, what's up?" Jon sat down on the couch and waited for his buddy to open up.

"Well, since it's late, we were just going to see if we can order up some dinner when she comes back and..."

"That's not what I'm talking about."

Richie knew exactly what he was talking about and tried to get his jumbled thoughts together before he spoke.

"She's different...She's not like the other girls. Did you know she's not even a fan?"

"I know she's not."

"You do?"

"Yeah, usually when people ask you what your job is, that's a clue right there." Jon snickered, recalling Richie's embarrassment yesterday. "You should have seen your face, Sambora!"

"Fuck you."

"No thanks."

"She might be just what you need, you know." Jon turned serious again.

Richie nodded. "It seems like it's been a long time since someone accepted me for who I am. I don't have to put up any airs when I'm with her. I don't have to wonder if she's being nice because of what I do. " He thought for a moment and added, "when she's with me, it''s like she takes the hurt away, you know? But..."

"But...?"

"But there's something else about her. I don't know, a sadness, there's something she's not telling me."

"You've just met her, bro. If you're serious about her, give her time." Jon watched his friend continue to pace. "Let her get to know you. Not some damn rock star persona, show her that there's a real person beneath that fricking image. Then she will open up to you."

"What if she still doesn't?"

"Then you haven't done your job."

*****

Jon and the band had decided to invite all the girls up to Jon's suite for a late night dinner. Although this was not part of the agenda, they realized that they were actually having fun with them, especially Kris, who they thought was a hoot.

Even the sisters-from-hell provided fodder for David's constant banter.

"The continuation of the poker game commences right after coffee!" David announced. "If I win," he glared at Kris, "you're gonna tell me what this 'Shirley' business is all about."

"And if you lose?"

"I won't!"

"Don't be so sure of yourself, Curly Top. I have a criteria of my own and I intend to win." Kris was not about to divulge any information about the forum, not if she could help it.

While they wouldn't be caught dead joining a poker game, the sisters feigned interest, at least Lindsey did. Nina calculatingly continued her surveillance of Richie and Madison.



Richie noticed a slight change in Madison when she returned. Though she was still friendly, she was keeping her distance. When he'd touch her, she would move away. Conversation was slightly stilted.

Though Richie sat by her while she talked to Jon about the book, she avoided looking directly at him. He was starting to feel hurt and confused by her sudden change.

He tried to think of what could be wrong, running the events through his mind when it dawned on him - I kissed her. She probably thinks that's the reason I asked her up to my room. But it just happened, just seemed right. Did I scare her?

She was standing out on the balcony enjoying the view when Richie walked up behind her. He put his hands gently on her arms, "Madison?" She turned and he was sure that he saw a sadness. "What's wrong?"

Madison stared into his eyes for a long minute before she found the words. "Nothing...I..."

"Don't tell me nothing. You've been acting funny all night since you came back. Tell me."

"I'm just.....tired and overwhelmed by all this, I guess..."

"Is it because I kissed you?" He needed to know.

"Huh? No! It's not that....just..."

"I didn't mean to to do that.....it just..." He was at a loss for words.

"You didn't?.......oh." A flicker of disappointment flashed in her eyes.

Shit! Nice job, Sambora. Maybe if I open my mouth wide enough, I can stick my other foot in it.

Madison turned and walked back into the suite. "I'm sorry, I'm really tired. It was a long day. I think I'm going to try and get some sleep."

"Madison wait. We're free tomorrow. How about taking in some of the sights?"

"I don't know. I kind of promised Joanie that I'd join her...." There was nothing more she wanted than to be with Richie, but Joanna's words kept playing in her mind - when the tour is over, he'll move on with his life. She was not not ready for that kind of heartache. She smiled sadly at him, "......goodnight, Richie."

Richie watched her leave, then turned to look at Jon with questions in his eyes.

Jon had no answers.

*****

She watched and smiled at the apparent split up of a budding romance. Finally, that bitch is out of the picture.





2 comments:

norwichliz said...

"The sisters from hell"! lmao!

Madison, don't let your jealous cousin spoil it for you! Get to know Richie...I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Sunstreaked said...

Okay, got side-tracked by life, not loss of interest, so it's back to reading and commenting. I really hate those two bitch sisters and SOOOO wanna see Jon and/or Richie or SOMEBODY tear them a new one!

And Joanie - not liking her right now either. Love Madison though, just love her!