Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Chapter 4

Jon paced the floor of his office, asking for the fifth time, "Why did we hold this contest, again, Obie?"

Obie sighed. "Look, Jon, we went over this. The management thought it would be a good idea for you and the guys to know who your fans are."

"We know who our fans are."

"No, you don't. Not really. Just as they don't know you."

"I'd like to keep it that way."

"Look, it's only for ten days and it's not like they would be underfoot twenty four seven. They'll travel with us, go to the concerts and have a few meals together. Other than that, they're on their own."

"You'll get a chance to know them. What they like, what they don't. It's not like those gushing fan letters or the posts you read on the fan forums. They're human. After a few days, they're likely to drop their guards and you'll really see what's ticking in their heads. And they'll see what's ticking in yours."

"There's nothing ticking in Dave's head," smirked Richie, earning him a finger salute from the curly haired blond. "Did you know that they call you 'Shirley'?" Richie was on a roll.

David glared at him but there was a tinge of confusion in his eyes.
"Shirley?! And what do they call you - Laverne?" "And who is 'they', anyway?"

"Besides," Obie continued, ignoring the two, "probably no other band has done something like this for their fans."

"And with good reason." Jon was at wit's end. He knew it was too late to do anything about it, but nonetheless wanted to make his grievances known.

Jon raked his hands through his hair. "Fine. Just make sure that whatever is private stays private."

*****

Joanna had packed and unpacked then re-packed again. And again. "Everything has to be perfect. The guys are not going to see me if it's not perfect."

"Not saying this because you didn't invite me", her best friend Sarah pointed out, "but I don't think the guys are going to notice any of you."

"And why not? I've worked too hard for this, Sarah. They will notice me. I'll make sure of that."

Joanna had been preparing for the four weeks since she got that letter. Made sure that her passport was up to date. Spent hours shopping for clothes she thought were sexy. Had her hair dyed and styled. Thank God for MasterCard!

The diet she went on managed to shed a few pounds, but not enough to her liking. She cursed the DNA her mother had passed on to her - short, round and stocky. "Be glad that you big boned. Men like women that way", she would always tell Joanna in her broken English. "Look at Maddie. Poor thing all skin and bones. Remind me to feed her when she get here."

Trying out yet another outfit, she heard the sound of a car coming up her driveway. "That should be Mike. He's taking me to the airport tomorrow to pick up Madison." "We're going to the movies tonight, wanna come with us?"

"And intrude on your 'couple's time'? No thanks."

"Look, for the millionth time, he's not my boyfriend!"

"But you tell people he is."

"It's easier than explaining."

"I don't see why you didn't just ask him to go with you. You know he would in a heartbeat, Joanie. He would do anything for you."

Sarah didn't understand. Mike was sweet and caring. He thought the world of Joanna. He went with her to the concerts when her friends couldn't go, and even tolerated her gushing on and on about them. He supported her through her numerous career changes when no one else would. Even the blind could see how much he loved her.

Joanna didn't understand why Sarah wouldn't understand. Sure, Mike was a nice guy and all, but he was no catch. He was nondescript, skinny and lanky. If there ever was a stereotype for a nerd, Mike was it. Give him a Pan Am bag and pocket protectors and he'd be ready for a role in Napoleon Dynamite.


"I told you already, Sarah. What chances would I have with the guys if I have him tagging along?"

Probably the same as if you didn't . Sarah shrugged and smiled to herself.

Joanna blew out a breath. "Besides, Madison needs a change of scenery."


"And that fact that she's not the least bit interested in Bon Jovi has nothing to do with it," Sarah stated flatly.



*****


Madison still had mixed feelings but had resigned herself to going with Joanna. She was packed and ready and had called for a cab to take her to the airport.

Checking again to make sure she had everything she needed, her fingers fell on the pendant in her purse. Pulling it out, she looked it over once more vowing that she will find out what secret it held. Or at least find out what was written on it. Europe would be the perfect place to do this.

"I'll be back in a few weeks. Keep an eye on the house, will you, kiddo?"

"I'll solve this mystery for you, I promise."

The smiling little boy in the hand tooled silver frame seemed to nod in agreement.




The cab honked its horn. Twice.

Madison waved from her lanai and gathering her bags, headed out. Just as she was locking her door, her neighbor from across the hall called out to her.

"I thought you left yesterday and so did the postman. He gave me your mail like you asked him to. Do you want them now?"

"Sorry for the mix up, Lani, but if it's bills and junk mail, I could do without them."

"Most of them are, I think, but you also have a package. I'll get that."

It was from Katherine.

After getting in the cab and instructing the driver to take her to the airport, she looked at the package.

Opening it, she read the note:

"I finally figured out what your pendant reminded me of. Take a look at this and see if you agree. I've bookmarked it for you.

Love, Kat"


She shook the contents out and as she did, she also dislodged the bookmark. Sighing, she turned the book over and gaped at the title:


The Da Vinci Code, Special Illustrated Edition





2 comments:

Sunstreaked said...

Dang! I just LOVE stories that throw so much into the plot. I have a theory that some fac fics are one night stands and others are relationships. My own quirk, I admit it, but wow! Just love that I've been led to another that's a relationship.

And bringing in Da Vince...brillant!

Kay said...

I was wondering if the title to my fiction was too cryptic ;D

I hope people can figure it out.