Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Chapter 13

Westminster Abbey
Originally a Benedictine monastery in the tenth century, and later rebuilt in the style of the Gothic architecture by Henry III, the Abbey has been the site of coronations since William the Conqueror in 1066.

It is also the setting for Dan Brown's thriller, The da Vinci Code. In the novel, Langdon and Neveu, the main characters, arrive here following a clue.



"There it is!" Madison was getting a little excited. Of course she knew it was just fiction. Knew that it was nothing more than the imagination of a brilliant writer, but she couldn't help it. Seeing Sir Isaac Newton's tomb up close and personal gave her goose bumps and she imagined herself a part of the conspiracy. She scanned the monument from top to bottom almost expecting to find a note for her like she'd read in the novel.

The marble monument, a part of the choir screen in the nave, was impressive in its size and ornate details. Madison studied the sculptures of the cherubs and the figure sitting atop a globe, and then her eyes rested on the reclining figure of Newton. Her mind's eye traveled along each curve and line imagining the artists of long ago sculpting this memorial. The obelisk monolith served as background and the huge globe protruding from the top depicted the constellations and planets. Being in close proximity to one of the most important figures in history awed her and she stood in silence, nearly forgetting her quest.

"What are you looking for?" Richie wanted to help her but had no idea how. "I don't see anything like the inscriptions on your pendant."

"Neither do I," she sighed. She hadn't expected it to be easy but this was getting next to impossible. There was no way to contact Katherine to ask her what she was referring to. No, they would just have to rely on their own wits. Madison wondered if they would make any kind of breakthrough during this trip.

Richie watched her as her shoulders drooped in resignation. "Hey darlin', don't give up. There are still other places we haven't seen yet. We're going to find something, okay?"

His concern touched her and she smiled up at him. "Thank you." After a long pause, she continued, "I'm sorry about last night. It's just that....."

"Don't worry about it. I know."

"You do? How?"

"I called Kris this morning. I.....I couldn't sleep last night. I had to know what was bothering you and I know you wouldn't tell me, so I called her."

"You called her? What did she tell you?"

"What your cousin said to you." He turned and looked her in the eyes. "Maddie, I need to talk to you."

"Not here." She was well aware of the wary looks Joanna was shooting their way.

Richie took her hand and led her through the Little Cloister, out to a secluded garden area that led to the Chapel of St. Catherine. They walked until they reached a set of stairs when he stopped and turned to face her.

"Madison, what do you think about what Joanna said to you?"

"I.....I don't know.....I haven't really..." Madison gazed down at her hands.

Richie took both hands in his. "Maddie, look at me."

When she did, she saw the emotions and the passion she saw the first time she looked into those deep chocolate eyes.

"Richie, I really want to get to know you, but I realize that we live in different worlds and..."

"Which world do you live in, Maddie? Because as far as I know, unless scientists tell me otherwise, the only world we live in is this one." Richie needed to make her understand. "What happened to the woman who made me fish out a crab for her?" he asked, "at the same time gave my friends enough ammo to torment me for the next few months?"

She giggled, remembering the encounter. "But that was before I knew who you were."

"And before your cousin tried to ingrain into your head that I was some untouchable rock star asshole." Richie finished what she would not.

Madison gasped at his abruptness. "I didn't mean it that way..."

"Yes, you did." But his words were gentle. "And I probably deserve to be thought of that way." Richie tightened his grip on her hands a little and pulled her closer to him. "But I am still the same guy you wanted to run over in Waikiki."

Madison looked up and found him grinning at her. That dimpled grin, again. She laughed softly and leaned in, resting her forehead on his chest.

Richie let go of her hands and wrapped his arms around her waist. "Like me or hate me for the person I am, but not because of what I do for a living, okay?"

She nodded against his chest. "Okay."

"This is not some fling, Madison. At least not on my part." He looked at her with a question in his eyes.

"I'm glad," she whispered, "I don't think my heart could take it if it was."

That's when he kissed her. Soft and gentle at first, then seeking, imploring. When the tip of his tongue grazed her lower lip, she opened up for him. They felt the heat rise between them as their kiss deepened. The sound of footsteps and voices made them pull apart, but he still held her close. He kissed her gently on her forehead and then the tip of her nose. When he hugged her close, he leaned in next to her ear, "I mean what I said. Now, let's go before they send out a search party."

*****

She was watching from the shadows, frowning as her hopes were being dashed right before her eyes. Bitch. This is not over yet.

*****

Madison and Richie found the rest of their group and joined them as they finished up the tour. As they were making their way toward the exit, they ran into Lindsey. "Did you come by yourself? You could have joined us. You're welcome to come back to the hotel with us," Madison offered.

Lindsey was a little taken aback by her kindness but quickly recovered. "No, Nina's around here somewhere. We still have another stop to make before we head back."


"Are you going to be joining us for dinner?" David wanted to know.

"Definitely. We need somewhere to show off our new acquisitions." With that, she turned and walked, no, strutted away.

The girls groaned and the men laughed.

"What? Come on, Kris, you can take both of them on!"

Kris returned David's earlier gesture and flipped him off.



2 comments:

norwichliz said...

Nina's a bitch and I don't trust her one bit.

I think David and Kris need to team up to deal with the sisters from hell.

Now...what's the deal with the necklace?

Sunstreaked said...

Yep, agree with Liz, don't trust EITHER sister!

Kris is wonderful - again!

So, they didn't find anything about the pendant - hmmmm...