Monday, July 7, 2008

Chapter 2

"Joanie? Are you still there?"

"Madison, you're not serious, are you? I mean, how can you not know who they are? They are the most freaking best rock band ever! They are major drool factor! Do you live under a rock?"

Is she kidding? The most 'freaking' best rock band ever is The Beatles. But then again, there's no chance in hell I'd ever see them live.


"Yes, Joanie, I remember you telling me about them when you came down for......when you last came here."

"Madison, you still can't talk about it, can you? You need a change of environment; you need to experience new things. Going with me on this trip will help, I promise. And oh, did I mention that the trip was to Europe?"

"Europe?"

"Hah! Got your attention now, haven't I? Come on Maddie, it'll be fun. I miss you, come with me on this trip."

"Can I at least think about it for a few days?"


Joanna sighed. "Fine, but if you don't call me back in three days, I have slew of Jovi fans just begging to be picked!"

"I will call you back, I promise."

Madison chuckled. Her cousin had very persuasive ways. Always did. Even when they first met as children, she was immediately the leader.

When Madison moved to Hawaii with her family from Japan, she was eleven years old. Her father had been transferred from a military base in Tokyo to Ft. Shafter in Honolulu. Uncle Paul, Joanna's father, had opened up his home so they'd have a place to stay while they looked for a home of their own.

She was in a strange country, having left behind friends and family. Her sisters, seven and nine years older, didn't want her hanging around with them. Now as adults they were close but as teenagers, they'd made it clear that having your kid sister tagging along was, to put it mildly, mortifying.

Joanna was twelve. Outgoing, gregarious and mischievous, she quickly took Madison under her wings. They became inseparable, even after Madison's family had found a home, spending days at the beach, window shopping at the malls and giggling over arguments about which boy was cuter.


Three years later, Uncle Paul took a job offer in Connecticut and Madison said goodbye to her partner-in-crime, her 'sister', her best friend.


They had kept in touch but as the years went by the letters, phone calls and emails dwindled. They had gone on with their separate lives; Madison getting her degree in education and Joanna.....
Wait a minute! I have no idea what she does!

Joanna changed jobs as frequently as the wind changed directions. That was Joanna. Forever searching, never satisfied, always knowing that there was something better.


Yes, she missed her. Could she reschedule her class? The tour wouldn't take all summer, would it? She had forgotten to ask how long the tour was.

*****

Joanna sat on her bed and re-read the letter.....again. It was past two thirty in the morning but she didn't care. No work meant that she could sleep whenever she wanted, preferably when she simply lost consciousness.

She had quit her job the day she received the letter, knowing her bosses would not allow her to take a two week vacation when she had just started not even three months ago.

No way was she going to miss this opportunity. She had waited too long. Twenty years she had lusted after them, sat smack dab in front of as many concerts as her pocketbook would allow.

Joined the fan club. Yep. Was a member of every fan forum she could find. She was such an active member on those forums that other fans had started turning to her for answers. When she announced that she had actually won the contest, they were happy for her. Weren't they? At any rate, they all wished her well and asked for details when she returned.

Imagine her surprise when another member posted that she had also won. Now she had a kindred spirit to share this experience with. Kris had been her 'sparring partner' in the forums and though they had never met, they both knew that from that point on, they were sisters. The Jovi Sisterhood.

The Sisterhood of the Bon Jovi So-Tight-You-Can-See-Their-Wares Bad Ass
Traveling Pants.

There were three winners actually, but neither Joanna nor Kris knew who the third person was. Each winner could bring a guest. Kris chose her best friend and fellow Jovi fan.

"She'd been a fan for years but was never able to go see a concert. I owe her this. She's seen me through thick and thin. I bet your friends are tripping over themselves to be your best friend! Just be sure to pick the one who has fallen as deep into the gutter as we have!"

Joanna, however, had other ideas.

It was true that her friends had come out of the woodwork professing their undying friendship, treating her to lunches and movies. Offering to clean her house. Wash her car. Take out the garbage. Subtle.

But taking another Jovi girl would seriously dampen her chances.

No, she needed to take a neutral party and Madison was just perfect since the men of Bon Jovi held no interest for her. Madison was more interested in the ancient architectures, the museums, the culture.......whatever.

She'd have a companion, not competition.

*****

"Elsie, help me out. I need to make a choice."

"Not lunchtime yet, but okay, what are the choices?"

"No, it's not about food! I have two conflicting events and have to choose one."

"Okay, shoot."

"Well, you know I've been waiting for a year to take that advanced silversmith class in Washington, right?"

Elsie nodded, but let her go on.

"My cousin called me last night. She'd won some kind of contest go to Europe with the rock band Bon Jovi and invited me to go with her. It's around the same dates so I can only go to one. What would you do?"

"You're shitting me, right?"

Fuck! I wish she'd stop cussing!

"
You have a way with words, Elsie."

"Hey, I ain't the school's secretary for nothin', hon."

"Okay, let's see......Your choice is to either go to a remote town to learn how to carve wax from a sixty five year old lady, or rub elbows with some of the hottest men that side of the Pacific Ocean?"

Madison snorted.

"Tell you what you do, Madison. Go take your artsy fartsy class and give me your cousin's damn number!"

She had to laugh. Elsie certainly pulled no punches.

"Fine, I get your point. Besides, seeing different cultures might be just as good a learning experience, right?"

Elsie rolled her eyes.

*****


"I just knew you'd see it my way!" Joanna was ecstatic. "
Just wait, Madison. We're going to have so much fun! I'll bet by the time the tour is over, you'll be totally in love with them!"



Yeah, I'll bet.






1 comment:

Sunstreaked said...

- The Sisterhood of the Bon Jovi So-Tight-You-Can-See-Their-Wares Bad Ass Traveling Pants.

~~~

I LOVE that line! Aren't we all sisters of that secondary to the music that is! Well...ok...maybe it's a tie!

So, Joanna thinks Madison won't be competition...hmmm...why do I think she might be wrong?